Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Finding Things

Halfway up the valley wall opposite the epicenter of the universe (The Wal-Mart parking lot.) stands a water tower which has been there for at least 25 years. I know the number because that's how long we've been married and I remember being able to see it from the window of the bathroom in our first apartment. In this hazy photo snapped before the morning fog had burned out of the valley it's above and slightly to the right of the rotunda of the Luzerne County Courthouse.



For all those years I wondered where the water tower was, precisely, though I had a vague idea of where it might be. I never ventured out to find it in the car because I'd imagined that little more than a rutted gravel road might lead to where it stands. When the weather turned warm in the spring, I finally set out on the scooter to find it and to see how close I might be able to get to it.

Ta da!

As the definition of adventure goes my trek to the other side of the valley isn't going to put me up there with Neil Armstrong, but I did enjoy finding the mystery water tower on the scooter. Now if I could just find an access road to the windmills on our side of the valley that isn't posted with NO TRESPASSING signs every two feet, or at least has better pavement than cubic inch chunks of crushed rock, I'd be happy.



1 comment:

Marc said...

You should come down to Limerick (PA)... We have nuclear power plants! ("Come to the Dark Side, we've got cookies").

Here is a pic I took driving by one day: http://i28.tinypic.com/2ecf15j.jpg (on a camera phone, so the quality is pretty bad). That's about as close as you can get to it. They have barb wire fencing all around it, of course.

You could do a whole series of photos with your scoot against much larger man made things... Along the lines of your Fly50 vs. Big Boy (7/13/08).