Monday, August 3, 2009

Halfway Around the World

If there's anything I'll never be accused of being, it's consistent. Yesterday I sighed heavily in watching it rain and not being able to ride. Today the sun's shining with a vengeance, and I've been indoors mostly. I'm just not in the right frame of mind for riding today, and anybody who goes about on two wheels might understand what I mean by that.

I did go out on the BV to the school where I spent a few productive hours. My classroom floors were waxed a few weeks ago so there was nothing standing in the way of setting up my PCs there. In four weeks from today the new academic year will begin officially and I'd rather get ready for it in nibbles than in frantic, giant gulps a few days before it starts.

On the way back to the house I noticed that my odometer had crossed the 7,000 mile mark. I was aware of the new thousand approaching last week, but I forgot about keeping half an eye on it so that I might get a picture of the turn. Using a capture of the splash screen image from Google Earth I was able to create this graphic showing by the white line across the middle the number of miles equivalent to my 7,000 - nearly half the diameter of the earth itself!


There are times when I'm consciously appreciative of having a scooter rather than just taking the warm wind in my face for granted. Spying this poor guy made it all the more fulfilling to have a motorized means of two wheeled conveyance at my disposal. I have to hope that he doesn't need to haul his lawn care equipment in that same little trailer, especially uphill!


Perhaps after dinner I'll find myself in a mental zone more conducive to scootering and enjoying it properly. There's still plenty of sunshine on tap and I hope to soak some of it up. Till then it's time to don my big chef's hat and fire up the grill.


No comments: