Friday, June 28, 2013

Back to the 70s

A cold front must have moved through last evening with the storm because when I got up this morning the weather was next to perfect.  It wasn't hot, but it wasn't cool and there was a delicious warm breeze not only when the scooter was in motion but when I was stopped as well.

All I could think of were the lyrics from 1976 - And there's warm wind blowing, the stars are out, and I'd really love to see you tonight - England Dan and John Ford Coley.  I was a senior in high school then with the whole world in front of me.

And then from 1972 - Summer breeze makes me feel fine.  Blowing through the jasmine in my mind - Seals and Crofts.  I was just starting high school then.

Back when I was that kid in high school I couldn't understand why some people were so into listening to "the oldies" on the radio instead of the great songs that were coming out every week.  As I rode today it was with another of those grins of mine as I realized that the best songs I've heard in my life are my own oldies - all those songs from the 70s on my iPod.  For just a little while out there on the Piaggio, I was that kid again but with a continuously variable transmission rather than a derailleur and ten gears, and I wouldn't have traded those precious nostalgic moments for anything.

I was the kid with the accordion cranking out
some of the very songs that I still love now.
Circa 1975.

No comments: