Sunday, June 23, 2013

How I Spent (the first week of) My Summer Vacation


It all began on June 13th as I crossed out the last day of school on the calendar with which I marked every day of the school year since late last August.  I was feeling so light-hearted that I darn near floated off the floor as I made my way to the car and pointed it in the direction of Somerset, PA where I was heading to help someone very dear to me move back east.


I got there in about four hours, the usual time, helped to finish loading the truck, and then headed straight into a five hour drive to the Poconos to help unload.  I spent the past ten days right there.  I didn't have my scooter.  I didn't have much of anything, really, except a lot of time in a beautiful setting - the time I needed to unwind from the school year and to allow the stress to seep slowly from every cell in my body.


I ate many wonderful meals while I was away, and every one of them with an easiness I hadn't felt in nearly a year.


I drove through some strange places, at times not even knowing where I was.  It didn't matter, though, because I was as free as a bird!


I visited an unusual place or two in my travels.


I even stopped to smell the poppies because roses weren't to be had.


I found myself relaxing everywhere I went in a way that isn't possible when the next Monday of work is only a few days away.


I enjoyed watching wildlife make its way past my Impala.  Yep!  That's a baby bear working his way across the yard.


And even though I can't swim it didn't stop me from frolicking in the water a number of times.

I might have posted here while I was away through the netbook using the hot spot function on my phone, but I was too lazy in a way I'd yearned to be for many months.  I don't think an Ignatian retreat could have been any better in realigning my head with my heart and my soul.

Tomorrow I'll probably take the scooter out.  For today, though, I'll simply continue to bask in the glow of the most perfect start to my summer vacation and probably go to bed wearing the same goofy grin that I'm wearing right now.


1 comment:

kz1000st said...

You're having way too much fun.