Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy 4th of July!

A few days ago I adapted yet another camera mount for the BV, not to try to get moving video while riding (because I discovered that it's quite boring to watch a ride after the fact) but simply to get the shots I enjoy taking to post here.  It's a small mount that came with some long broken and gone surveillance camera and I bolted it to the "driver's side" of the crate that sits on the back of the scooter.


Screwing the camera onto the stubby 1/4 inch threaded bolt takes only a few seconds and I'm ready to shoot - with the timer of course if I want to get my own mug into the shot as I typically do.

I'd been through the small hamlet where I found this bridge over a large creek hundreds of times before, but only this morning did I discover the bridge and pause to take the first picture using the new camera mount.


I rather enjoyed the spot and tarried a while to make a friendly phone call while the water below gurgled merrily on its way downstream.  While setting up the tripod on the other side of the roadway to get the following shot I realized that another mount - one with a strong magnet - would have been perfect to attach the camera to the bridge's girder.  After that I kept thinking about how I might make some kind of mount that could attach to just about anything.  I saw an expensive piece of plastic pipe with a couple straps of Velcro at the camera store last week and realized that I could adapt something like it myself for whole lot less money.  I'd get carried away, though, because I'd try to think of all possibilities.  For example, a short length of hook and loop fastening tape isn't going to wrap around the trunk of a good sized oak.  Elastic with hooks?  A long stretch of rope?  DUCT TAPE!


Okay, so the brown water itself wasn't so pretty.  All I could think of is that it must run through part of one of the old coal mines.  Could that be, though?  Wouldn't some state or federal agency in charge of wasting our taxes on the environment have already done something to stop this brown sludge from making its way to the Susquehanna, then the Chesapeake, and ultimately the Atlantic Ocean?


Speaking of those wonderful governmental powers that be, a Happy 4th of July to all of us here in the U.S.A.!  This appropriately decorated building is just around a few corners from the bridge and while I didn't head in its direction to get this picture today, that's where I found myself ready to take advantage of the opportunity to sneak in the patriotic theme.


1 comment:

D.B. Echo said...

We have quite a few of these mine water creeks around here. The best is Solomon's Creek, which runs through Wilkes-Barre. Whenever I hear the gas extractors give assurances about how they won't harm the environment and will clean up any messes they make, I always think "Clean up the mess left by the last people who raped this area for its energy resources, and I might believe you."