Thursday, April 7, 2016

Back in Scooter Limbo

I got awfully spoiled by the warm weather two weeks ago or so.  Not only did I take the scooter out multiple times, but I actually did a once around town in short sleeves!  Not so now with the temperatures making up for the warmth I had been enjoying, and with rain to boot.  I've been stuck in the house and in the car for the past week and not enjoying it one bit.


I took pictures the last time I was out, intending to do a blog post, but then they moved onto the back burner and whatever I might've written then never coalesced in my noggin so I'll stick them in here randomly for the hell of it.  Never mind that things still aren't coming together in my brain, but I only did a single post here in March and felt ashamed when I realized it so here I am with a veritable diarrhea of words but a constipation of ideas posting anyway.


Speaking of the short sleeves, last year on the first day when it was warm enough for me to take my first ride in short sleeves, shorts, and sneakers I made the mistake of posting a picture of myself on the scooter dressed as such to one of the Facebook scooter boards.  Right away the ATGATT people were all over my sorry ass.  I'm pretty tolerant, but I can't stand people with a "cause" whether it's their goal to have every newborn baby sucking on its momma's nipples or trying to shame folks into dressing like the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles every time they jump on their scooters to run for a jug of milk.  Do what you want, and leave the rest of us alone.  We don't need your sermonizing!  Riding is always a calculated risk.  It's not like we don't know that.


 I had to drag myself up early this morning to head to the parish church where the 8:00 Mass was being offered for the repose of the soul of my daddy.  (A Catholic thing.)  I sat with Mom and my sister.  Today would have been Mom and Dad's 60th wedding anniversary. Well, I suppose it still is, but without him around to celebrate it, it's kind of a moot thing.  I sat there before Mass started just thinking about various parts of my life with Dad, among them how when I was born he was the age at which my younger daughter is now.  Still a kid, practically, at 26, but with a little mouth to feed and a little butt to kick when it was appropriate.  I was afraid when he left us three years ago I was going to find hundreds of reasons why I'd still NEED him around, but thankfully it hasn't been that way.


Yeah, I guess it's kind of stupid, me writing away here with the pictures having nothing to do with what's coming out of my fingertips, but I've done this too often - getting a set of pictures together while intending to do a post and then blowing them out of the "Scootin'" directory because I didn't use them in a timely fashion.  What's the worst that will happen?  Somebody might post a shitty comment?  I think I can live with that.


Oh... I added a new gadget to my arsenal - a Pebble Classic smart watch.  I debated with myself about getting it for weeks, visiting the store every now and then and mulling it over, convincing myself that it would be a great thing to have, and then just as quickly telling myself that it would be just another thing that I don't need that will fall by the wayside soon enough.  


The novelty is still with me though I've had it for a few weeks now.  It's VERY handy when I'm on the scooter and get a text, or a Hangouts or Facebook Messenger notification, or an e-mail on one of my primary mail accounts.  There's the message right on my wrist and it hardly takes a momentary glance down to see if it's something worth pulling over for, or something I can reply to at leisure as is usually the case.  And if the phone starts ringing, the name of the caller appears so I know if I should tap the Bluetooth and take the call or just let it ring its merry little dinger off and go into voice mail.

Oh, my!  The sun started shining brightly since I began writing here.  Gonna check the temperature and forecast and see if a scooter ride is in order.  As is typical, I have absolutely nowhere I need to go.  Scootering is more of a want to than a need to kind of thing anyway, and I like it that way!

1 comment:

kz1000st said...

Of course the weather has gone to heck. It's a couple of weeks into spring, the crocuses are blooming and the snow just can't wait to fall. If not snow, then rain. Darn April showers.
I have eight two wheeled toys to exercise and the weather is just trying to get my goat. Better days are coming.