Monday, August 23, 2010

Highway No More

Last year I penned an article here about a road that the GPS called "Highway 3005" which upon closer inspection could hardly have been respectfully called a trail. It was a scary place that I won't describe again since I did such a fine job before. I visited it again a few weeks ago just for the heck of it, thinking actually of trying to take the BV across its three mile or so gauntlet of ruts and rocks. I couldn't have if I'd wanted to...


Even though I'd considered it formidable and somehow dangerous I was met by some degree of sadness in seeing that the old "highway" is now officially closed to vehicular travel. Yes, I checked both ends and the entire length of it is off limits.

I could have gotten the bike around the gate, but to what end? If I met up with the devil or his brother somewhere along the way no piece of emergency equipment would have had easy access to save my sorry butt. Worse, I think I remember a total drop of my cell signal down there by the tracks.

I'll just keep my scooter on the straight and narrow for now!


1 comment:

Scootin' Fool said...

Joe, I think you might just need to break down and buy yourself an enduro...

Or maybe snap some knobbies on the BV... heh heh.