Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Thanksgiving 2017


Thanksgiving is usually a great day around here with family and a magnificent turkey and all the trimmings, but I find it difficult to consider a single day set aside for giving thanks.  I’m quite a grateful person, offering thanks regularly not only to the Almighty but to everybody who makes a day brighter for me from a pleasant clerk at some store to those who are closest to me.  I found the need to offer thanks just this morning when I bit into a cookie at my sister’s and then ran to where she’d gotten the box of them so I could get myself five boxes.  Thanks all around to the folks who baked ‘em and boxed ‘em.  To the shippers, the stock boys, the clerk.  To my sister for having gotten them in the first place.  To the Lord for providing such delicacies by inspiring the bakers and creating the ingredients that make them possible.

 
Though that might’ve sounded a bit flippant it’s not meant to be.  I’ve always been in the habit of giving thanks.  Even if I drop a piece of bread and it lands butter side up I find myself exclaiming, “Thank you, God,” like the kid in Animal House who had a Playboy bunny come flying through the window to land on his bed.  (That kid is now a grown man and a pastor!  You can read about him here.)  Expressing thanks is just something I’ve always done and probably because of my maternal grandfather who taught me most of my earliest lessons in the Faith and about being a good person or at least trying to be.


I find that being thankful highlights the good in life because it makes me conscious of how blessed I am rather than going through life just expecting everything to work out the way I want it to and considering myself as simply being lucky when it does.  As I approach my sixtieth year of life I even find myself grateful for each day when I say my evening prayers and express thanks for my having had another day of life to enjoy.  When I was younger I used to wonder about old people, if they ever think about their lives being mostly spent.  Now that I’m “old” myself I know that yes, the limit of our mortality is something we sometimes think about.  I don’t have a bucket list.  I can’t think of anything at all that I’ll wish I had done when I’m lying on my death bed.  My best fantasies about adulthood have all come true.  Everything I ever really hoped to have I do, and I’m grateful to be content and mostly happy most of the time.

 
I suppose if I could make a heartfelt and fervent wish for everybody in my life it would be simply that – for each person to be content.  Happiness is nice when it’s around, but it’s fleeting.  Contentment is long lasting and while there might be a grey cloud over it some days because of circumstances that don’t warrant happiness in the moment, the overall contentment with life makes even those times better than they’d be if one only dwelt on the immediacy of the right here and right now.

 Getting around on a scooter was never something I wished
for nor dreamed of as a child.  It’s a decided bonus!

So, after all, I suppose it is that for which I am most grateful – contentment.  Knowing that there’s nothing out there that I need in order for me to be thankful.  In terms of the things that, as a child, I wanted for my adult self to have, I’m as rich as any king, and grateful beyond measure to have them.


Happy Thanksgiving to all, and my
wish for your own contentment!

No comments: