Friday, August 9, 2013

Zipping Right Along

Since my inaugural scooter run on May 7 of 2007 when I brought the baby Fly50 home from the dealer's, I don't believe I've ever had a period during which I haven't run my car as I haven't lately.  I got back from my last trip about two weeks ago, parked the Impala out front, and there it's been since I set the parking brake and unloaded the trunk.  The weather has been just beautiful for scootering, having had the decency to pour most of whatever rain it's felt like tossing our way during the night, and I've luxuriated in being able to scoot everywhere I've wanted to go.


As usual I've done a lot of riding simply for the sake of it, but I've also done a number of grocery runs, trips to the school, and other errands all on the scooter for the longest stretch I can remember, and I came to a conclusion a few days ago that I'd have hit upon sooner if I'd given it any thought.  My daughter called from Delaware to ask if I'd scoot over to our doctor's office because her prescription refills weren't coming through.  I took off immediately and then texted her that all was well when I got back to the house.  She replied, "That was fast!" and when I looked at my watch I realized that indeed, it had been.  It wasn't until that moment that it dawned on me that for jaunts through the city the scooter is much faster than taking the car.


Yes, the speed limits are the same whether I'm in the car or on the bike, and I tend to observe them regularly, but the pick-up on the scooter after having to stop at a stop sign or red light is remarkably faster than in the car.  I was out just a little while ago and tested it conservatively after coming to a stop, and I can go from 0 to 30 MPH in about three seconds, leaving the cars behind me in my dust so that often I'm at the next corner before they're really getting moving from the last stop.  Considering the numerous stops that I encounter in city driving, all those zippy pick-up times add up so that the savings in time when running the scooter is noticeable.


I'm down to my last two weeks of summer vacation now.  I'll be away next week and then I'll have one more in which to finish planning my year in the classroom before that first school bell rings on the new academic year.

The past three or four summers have been terribly stressful, and although I had looked forward to them as the school years behind each of them dwindled down to the last few weeks and then days, the relaxation that I'd expected to have just wasn't there.  There were doctor visits, tests, surgeries, and various heartaches one after another just punching me in the gut every time I thought there'd be a break between one and the next.  This summer has been the first one in a long time (or at least a seeming long time) in which I can say that I got the down time that I so desperately wanted and needed.  Yes, I'll still have that whack of depression to contend with when I'm back to getting up at 5:55 AM every weekday, but at least this time after having had the respite for which I'd longed from the rat race.


Here's hoping for a nice, long Indian summer that lasts well into November so the ride can continue!



5 comments:

Deb said...

Ah, so you're a teacher?

I hope you thoroughly enjoy your days left and look toward awesome riding in the autumn months too!

Joe said...

Thanks,Deb!

Tripping Sister! said...

Very cool blog.....:-). But I cannot find a way to subscribe to it. I clicked on the link below and it just shows an entire page full of HTML coding......:-(.

Tripping Sister! said...

Nice blog, Joe...
But I cannot see how to subscribe to it. When I click on the subscribe link below it only opens a full page of HTML coding....:-(

Joe said...

Patricia, I don't really understand what subscriptions to blogs are so I'm afraid I can't help. Anybody else out there know what Patricia needs and what I might be able to do to help?

-Joe